Friday, August 14, 2009

Finally Friday!



"Be still and know that I am God"






This is not a picture I took. It was taken by Robbie Bailer, laxboy56@aol.com of Mount Katahdin in Maine.

I just loved the serene feel of this. It reminds me of when I was a child growing up in Maine. As the sun set, the chill came in and made you look for warmth either indoors or inside a warm jacket. I can almost feel the mosquitoes and blackflies swarming around my head. I guess that doesn't sound like too much fun, but it's just a memory from a very precious time in my life.


I am excited today. I will be spending time with one daughter tomorrow, Lord willing and then the other daughter on Labor Day weekend. I think Joanna and I will be going thrift store shopping Saturday. There are several that we especially like. We may also go swimming because it is going to be very hot that day. I may even have my car back by then. I will be working tonight to get all my chores done so that I can go "guilt-free".



Menu Planning:

Good diet this week. It has been warmer and we have lots of veggies, so there's little problem with eating a good diet.


Weds night we had chicken and squash and leftover parsnips/onions sauteed in the pan. It was really a good dinner.


Thursday night we had stewed beans with ground pork (left over from last week), steamed broccoli, avocado and fresh cucumbers.


Friday night: Hamburgers with fresh tomato, new pickles, & avocado


Saturday: stewed beans and biscuits, fresh cucumbers


Sunday: Roast, parsnips and peas


Monday: Left overs


Tuesday: Roasted chicken, zucchini


Exercise: walked twice this week. Have been making an effort to park further away. Parking the car at the greenhouse, parking at the other side of the parking lot at work and if I go to the store. Taking the stairs, working in the garden. I have felt more energetic this week too. Some weeks I feel like a slug, but this week has been good (no slugs).

I think this next week we'll get a couple of swimming days in (yea).


Bible Reading:

Have had some good devotions this week though my through the Bible reading has not progressed far. Also have appreciated the studies that our ladies Sunday School teacher has been sending us. The ladies are going through a new book now on Psalm 23 - "Quiet Confidence for a Woman's Heart: The Power of God's Restoration and Healing" by Elizabeth George. I have only read through the first 2 chapter, but what a blessing it is to think of how the Lord loves His own. We have no want.

I think about this sometimes. Whenever I start thinking of our situation. So much to be done and we still have not been able to move into our house. I think of so many others who are is such need. Those who have only a few pieces of tin or cardboard to call home and yet thank the Lord for having those. I think of some Christians around the world today who have been or are imprisoned for worshipping the Lord Jesus. I can thank the God that He has allowed me to be in this country at this time where I am free to teach children about my precious Savior in Sunday School and freely worship Him with others who love Him too. How much we take for granted.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. Psalm 23:1 In the Hebrew/English Bible it is translated this way: "Yahweh is my shepherd, never shall I be destitute." We may not have all the things we think we need, but we will never be "destitute." Philippians 4:19 "But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

Often time my problems stem from my own thinking that I need this or that. It's not always material "need" either sometimes I think I need "a creative outlet," or "time alone," or "a vacation." God knows what things I have need of and He will provide those things. If I need a vacation or time away He will provide that. It may not be on my timetable, but His timing is always the best.
Poultry Update (and other stuff)...

I am sending some pictures out there of our birds at 9 weeks old. I went out this morning and the roosters had taken over the side of the yard where the ducks usually are, the ducks were enjoying their little brown pond and the hens were in the duck side of the coop. See what happens when you go for a swim? When they come back from the pond, the roosters will vacate and go to their side of the yard, the hens will retreat to their side of the coop and all will be well again. I'm not sure why they do not like to "co-habit" the entire yard, but they are very segregated.









Here's the before and after on my garden cart. Actually before I had time to take the "before" apart, the wood had started falling apart and when I picked it up the wood fell apart in my hand. I think the new one looks pretty good for an amateur.


Have a great weekend everyone

























2 comments:

Mrs.T said...

Great photo and verse. Yes, so often we need to just be still and let God be God. I am remembering that today. Someone actually mentioned that verse in Sunday School yesterday, and how it was on a card they received, and was just what they needed to slow them down and let God work. Thanks for sharing it. A blessed reminder.

Sounds like you are staying on track pretty well. Keep up the good work!

God bless,
Mrs.T

Lori said...

Hey Mrs. Doug! It's been a little bit since I've been here (been taking some time off) and I've enjoyed getting caught back up. Glad you've had a no-slug week. :) I have those slugs sometimes too! LOL! And Girl, I am VERY impressed with the garden cart! I couldn't have done it better myself...really...cause I couldn't have done it at all myself! LOL!
Have a wonderful happy day!