Friday, September 11, 2009

I'm Back ;)

Wow, it doesn’t seem like it’s been that long since I was on here chatting with all of you. Work has been incredibly busy and we are the same at home so there just hasn’t been any time to do anything else.

Last week we received 9 cases of strawberries that were partly gone by. They had to be gone through right away. We put up 13 quarts of frozen berries and 11 quarts of blueberries.

We have also been getting produce from the garden and this weekend we’ll hopefully pick all the beans, chard and beet greens and get those into the freezer. Then next will be the beets, then next the squash.

Tonight I want to go over to the church and pick some blackberries and maybe Friday night too. If we don’t go soon it will be too late and I’m sure the bear have already gotten a taste. I’ll take Spot along. She’s a great guard dog. She also hates bear!

This past weekend I was able to go down and visit my daughter and her family. I haven’t seen my grandson in a year. He is getting so grown up. He’ll be 8 years old this year already!!! We did some cooking and Dexter drove 3 hours each way so we could go to the beach. We jumped around in the water and played in the sand. We also went to Arlington Cemetery and hiked to the new Kennedy gravesite and to the tomb of the unknown soldier for the changing of the guard.

I am going to put some pictures to the side for you to look at. It was such a fun time.

Heather took me on a “ride along” in the MPD helicopter. We flew all around the city except for places in the "bubble" that are protected air space. We got to see the monuments and even flew very close to Heather’s apartment building and over where she works at the Metropolitan Police Dept.

While I was there the mornings were quiet and there was time to spend reading. I read through the book of Romans and also read a few more chapters in our Sunday School book. I took my cross stitch along, but there wasn’t much time for that and the lighting was such that my old eyes didn’t work so well.

The bus trip down and back went without a hitch… thanks to all the prayers at home. I had 1 ½ hour layover in NYC on the way down and none on the way back. Doug got a little lost picking me up. I got into Boston at 11pm and he got there to pick me up at 2am. We got home at 4:30 and I had to be at work at 8am. So after a couple hours sleep I dragged myself out of bed and got a shower and off to work.

Slowly we’ve been able to recoup a little sleep. I know it will be good this weekend… I might just sleep till noon on Saturday (NOT!). I actually have been compiling a list of the many thing that need to be done this weekend and I know for sure that they will not all be accomplished if I sleep all day.

We had prayer meeting last night. What a blessing to see everyone. Joanna came along with us. I might stop at her house tonight on my way home. She has moved so she is right along my route to and from work. I can stop in anytime at all but I will probably let her have a little privacy, or maybe not, or maybe… I just love it that she’s close enough so we have a choice.

I have been getting the Days of Praise devotional each day sent via email. I love the thoughts and also the pictures each day change and they are so beautiful. If your interested in a little refreshing lift during the day go to http://www.icr.org/ and sign up. I always find that the Word of God is like a cold glass of water after working in the hot sun all day. You remember the old metal water ladle to take ice cold water from the spring. Our neighbor had a watering trough for the horse that constantly ran and after a hot day helping with the haying there was nothing better that a ladle of water from that spring.

Hope you have a wonderful day/weekend since I’m sure I won’t be back till next week.
Mrs. D

1 comment:

Lori said...

Yay, you're back and it sounds like you had a wonderful time with that grandson. :)
PS - I'm so glad you tried the coffee cake!!