Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Whew... made it through the weekend...

I took off two days from work to do the butchering. We now have 25 birds in the freezer and one in the tummy :)



Thursday was supposed to be sunny and bright and temperatures in the mid to high 50's... those weathermen lie!!!



It was breezy, cold and the sun didn't even show up till mid afternoon. We trudged through just the same. The work had to be done and so we did it. Then the weather was supposed to be rainy and raw on Friday, so I took that day to do the chores. Went to the library, did my shopping and housecleaning and worked on getting some squash cooked and in the freezer. We are having freezing nights now, so all the produce needs to be put up as quickly as possible. We still have beets in the ground, but this evening I'm hoping to get the squash finished up. I put up 6 quart boxes on Saturday and hope that those can be "deboxed" and put into bags to save some space and save some money as well... those boxes can be quite expensive.



So Friday the weather was mild and though the sun didn't come out, it was not too cold and it didn't rain until later on in the day... we could have probably continued on Friday and been all done with the butchering.



The weather was supposed to be warmer and sunny on Saturday, but it was much like Thursday except colder. By the time we were finished it was dark and very cold and we were wet and chilled, but neither one of us wanted to stop till the job was done. Today is the first time I have felt warm since AND PRAISE THE LORD the job is done for this year.



We had duck for dinner Sunday and it was soooo good. I have never had duck before and the meat just melted in your mouth. It was not greasy like everyone said it would be. I drained off the fat twice while it was baking, but I don't think that was even necessary because there wasn't any more fat than there is when I do a chicken.



Our birds did not end up as large this year as in the past, but that might be due to the fact they had more room to roam and were much more "athletic". We have a much larger space for them now.



I'll add some pictures in a separate post for you to look at. No blood and guts I promise!



Hope you have a great day...



R

No comments: