Friday, July 31, 2009

Garden Journal, July 31



Jacob's Cattle Shell Beans... can you see all the beans?
Baby Zucchini Summer Squash.
finally got the squash plants weeded so you can see them
the broccoli is starting to head up... not too warm, so that's good for the cabbages
Romano Pole Beans: can't wait for these to start ripening.

The ladies all want to know what that crazy lady is doing out there on a rainy morning. They all know better than to go outside on a day like this.
Well, this is how the garden grows...
How's everyone this fine rainy day? I am praising the Lord 'cause the stomach bug is gone and I'm feeling OK. It is a good day... it is a good day everyday, but some are better than others :)
I heard from both my daughters this week and my grandson who went on and on about his summer and all he's been doing.
I've been keeping on track this week even though I haven't been feeling too well. Sometimes the Lord slows ya down a little so you can think about what you're doing.
Devotions:
Continuing with my Bible reading. I'm still in Job. It's one of my favorite books to read through because of the narrative nature of the story of Job's life. Pastor has been giving a few messages on Job's "friends". I have been in the nursery a lot lately. Traded with one girl who was going to be away, then Sunday evening last week, then missed prayer meeting because I wasn't well, then will be in nursery again this Sunday. Hope this is it for a while... not that I mind. I like taking care of the little ones, but I'm just feeling a little "starved" for the preaching of the Word and fellowship with "the adults".
Thank the Lord I don't have to wait till Sunday or Wednesday to read God's Word. I can open that book anytime I want and read all I want. My only constraint is time.
Diet/Exercise:
Diet is going well. Kept the carbs low this week and kept to the menu that I planned last week. I shuffled a few items, but generally was able to keep to the items I had planned. Ate leftovers for lunches. We have lots of veggies coming in the garden and so it won't be too hard to plan ahead more of my meals. There will be beans and more peas this week and then before the end of the week we'll have some zucchini to cook on the grill. Lost 2 lbs, but that could be due more to the stomach bug than to diet and exercise. I haven't gotten a lot of exercise this week. I do hike the hill on a regular basis when I get home, but it isn't a lot of exercise. Saturday we mowed all down at the bottom of the hill around the end of the driveway and I put a pot of flowers there by the lamp post. I should take all my window boxes down there, but I am enjoying them too much to do that. The driveway is 1/10 mile so we can't see the end of it too well. I can see when Doug starts up with the car, but can't really appreciate the flowers down there from the house.
Menu:
Wednesday: Soup and biscuits
Thursday: Spaghetti squash with sauce made with mushrooms/onions/garlic and meatballs
Friday: Chicken (had to slaughter one early because it was lame) steamed onions/spinich
Saturday: This is going to be a busy day with the Market Day and all so I think I'll put a turkey in the oven in the mobile home and let it cook slowly through the day. When we get home it'll be all done. Peas or beans with that.
Sunday: Church picnic. Sandwiches and fruit salad.
Monday: We got a lot of some strange veggie called Jicama. I never tried it before, but it's most like a super huge water chestnut. It doesn't taste like that but it also doesn't soften when it is cooked and it is sweet. I think I'll try to make something with them... a "cole slaw" type salad or something. We will have lots of left over turkey too.
Tuesday: Green beans from the garden and turkey pot pie.
Mr. Doug has been working all week on the budget, counting the cost before the construction can begin. We must have the funds available before he starts because if he takes those huge tarps off and the is unable to get the roof on we'll be stuck with getting more tarps and they are VERY expensive. I just pray we'll be able to take a step or two towards getting things done.
God bless you in the coming weekend and hope your Lord's Day is full of blessing.

No comments: