Thursday, July 30, 2009



Male society:
It is mighty funny watching these juvenile roosters face off against one another. The puff out their neck feathers and charge at each other till one or the other backs off or runs away. They're even worse if the ladies are in the yard.

I never had sons only daughters so am not familiar with boy behaviors. These little skirmishes I think must be quite typical of male "bonding". I think I've seen humans do the same thing, showing off. Reminds me of Tom Sawyer showing off for little Becky.


A friend of ours brought us 6 more little chicky girls to add to our family... so we're starting all over with them. The red hens are a little aggressive with them so we have them separated in their own little coop right now, but later they will be OK being all together. We think we may have 2 silver-laced Wyandottes, an Arucana (those are the ones that lay colored eggs) and a few Gold Comet or Buff Orphington or maybe even more Rhode Island Reds. At this age it's a little hard to tell what breed they are because the colors and patterns in their feathers will change a lot before adulthood.




These little ladies are really funny. They will all crowd into just one nest box though they have 6 more to choose from. This picture was taken about a week ago and they have changed in color and size even more now.

All the birds are outside during the day now. They have little ramps to get in and out. The ducks have been swimming in their little pond and the meat birds laze around in the sunshine getting fat and sassy for the September slaughter. When I go into the side where the hens are sunning they will come running and peck at my shoes and legs and let me touch them. The ducks and meat birds are not as friendly though probably just as curious.

Veggies are growing in the garden. We've had peas and chard so far and there are cucumbers and summer squash growing rapidly. All the winter squash looks good and if we could get a few days of sun I think the tomatoes would shape up too.

Last night was difficult for me. I wasn't feeling very well at all and missed prayer meeting. I was not very happy about that. Not happy about feeling sick and mostly not happy about missing church. We're working hard at getting things ready for Saturday. I hope I can get some pictures of that to share next week with you. I hope you will be praying with us that there will be many children there and that it will be a fruitful ministry to them, not just a fun day.

I'll be back on track with you Friday I hope if it's a slow day... not too many slow days right now.

A verse of encouragement for you and for me today:

Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

No comments: