Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hooray, it's Thursday Already!!!


"Hey Froggie, Don't you know that eating angel cake won't make you an angel?"


I’m ba-ack!!!
Well looks like we’re in for a string on beautiful, dry, sunny days… until Sunday when it looks like it might rain. I am enjoying the warm sunshine.

Just heard a news report that told about young people who lack vitamin D and are suffering from fractures and other health issues because of it. I remember as a kid I never wanted to be inside… my mom would give me chores to do if I stayed inside. We had no TV and I guess she didn’t want me to be bored. I was outside alllll summer long. I would hike in the woods with the dog, ride my bike, help the neighbors (harass the neighbors more like,) and generally terrorize the neighborhood. Sunshine/vitamin D were not a problem.
But these days with video games/computers kids just don’t get out much. I think this year all the rain and cool weather has also contributed to that. I usually go swimming at least a couple time/week in the summer, but this year I have only been once and the water was too cold to really enjoy it much. The dog enjoyed it more than I did.

We had a wonderful day last Saturday for Market Day. A friend and I were in charge of the crafts and though we did not have as many kids as we thought we would, we had a few. There were lots of other activities happening that day which took attention away from Market Day. We thank the Lord for those that did come. One little boy sounded as though he would be interested in Patch Club at the church. We had a few come and make crafts. We hadn’t prepared a whole lot of any one craft and the crafts changed from hour to hour. It worked out really well and we have enough for another year.

The kids from church did a few puppet shows. They were really great and the children that came were fascinated by the puppets and stage. I think next year it would be good to do more with the puppets. It's good the church kids were the involved. We also handed out free tracts and booklets and other literature and had some who took copies. We pray they end up reading them.
I am including a couple of pictures of the Market Day event at the beginning and end of this post.
After we actually got some kids doing crafts it was quite busy... so no pictures of that.

My "Back on Track” partner has finished her challenge and I feel as though I should continue for a while. I have enjoyed the challenge and believe me it is a challenge!

Diet and Exercise:
I have not had as much exercise as I should have. I walk up and down the hill a few times each day, but it is not continuous and no more strenuous than climbing a long set of stairs. Our garden is down the hill, the chickens are down there and recently we’ve been parking the car down there too, so it requires at least a couple trips up and down. I enjoy the walk though because the view from our driveway is really wonderful. I’ll try to get a few pics of that for ya too. I have eaten very healthy food lately. You will see from our menu for the next week that it is due to the different things the Lord has been providing through what we pick up from the veggie place.
Bible Reading:
I always find it fascinating when Pastor talks about the same thing I’ve been reading about. Wednesday during prayer meeting he talked about Noah and Job… I think we missed some of it because we were late, but had to do with God’s control over the situations around us. Pastor used the examples of Esther, the king’s anger was appeased, Noah the waters asswaged, and Job, who’s grief was asswaged. (Esther 2:1, Genesis 8:1, Job 16:5) I’m sure what he may have been trying to communicate is different than what I received from what he was saying. I look at these verses and see God’s protective power. For Esther and Israel, for Noah and his family, and for Job’s emotional stability as he went through his great trial. I thank the Lord that he cares for us collectively, that he cares for our families and that He cares for our emotional well-being. At we trust Him, He cares for us. I praise the Lord for his working in my life, bringing me from a wretched person into His family and then walking with me along every path He has led me on.

My favorite Hymn

He leadeth me, O blessed thought!
O words with heav’nly comfort fraught!
Whate’er I do, where’er I be
Still ’tis God’s hand that leadeth me.

Refrain:
He leadeth me, He leadeth me,
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful foll’wer I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

Sometimes ’mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden’s bowers bloom,
By waters still, o’er troubled sea,
Still ’tis His hand that leadeth me.

Lord, I would place my hand in Thine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine;
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since ’tis my God that leadeth me.

And when my task on earth is done,
When by Thy grace the vict’ry’s won,
E’en death’s cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me.

This song has meant so much to me. When I am going through a tough time the Lord keeps bringing this song to my mind as well as Isaiah 43:1,2

Isaiah 43
1But now thus saith the LORD that created thee, O Jacob, and he that formed thee, O Israel, Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine.
2When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
3For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour: …
I know this was written to Israel, but I believe it also applies to me as a child of God. He will be with me, he will not bring so much into my life that I cannot handle it.
Menu:
Well again I’m a day late with this, but we just finished up the turkey I cooked Saturday. We had several meals from that. It was sooo nice having a meat already to just warm up and serve. We have lots of veggies and that’s never a problem, but the meat always must be cooked and most of the time it is frozen. I am considering getting the meat ready in the pan in the morning and then putting it in the fridge and letting Doug put it on to cook before I get home. Then by the time I am home, it will be done and all I’ll need to do is prepare and cook the veggies. We would certainly eat earlier.
Weds. Turkey soup and biscuits.
Thurs. Hamburgers on “pancake” buns with all the veggies.
Friday: Beef roast and cauliflower
Saturday: Leftover roast, squash and peas
Sunday: Hoping to have some green beans from the garden, but if not, we have lots of veggies and roast chicken
Monday: leftovers
Tuesday: Stewed beans and biscuits
God Bless you and hope you have a wonderful day!!!

setting up
waiting for things to get started
the kids from church practicing their puppet skit
kids watching the skit... there's something about kids and puppets!

1 comment:

Mrs.T said...

Great work on the challenge, Mrs. Doug! (And don't forget how many times I had to restart mine!) I really did need it, though. Getting through those 20-plus days in a row really did jump-start me in a lot of ways. I feel better, have more energy and creativity, and am feeling renewed spiritually. What a blessing!

Keep up the good work!

God bless,
Mrs. T