Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Is it Indian Summer?

I am still trying to get used to this new keyboard, so if I make some mistakes, please forgive me.

I have one keyboard for work and then this laptop, which is much smaller and my typing skills aren't that great to begin with. I think what drives me the most crazy is that there is no number key pad off to the right from which I can enter numbers with. I am not used to using the numbers "above".


Our weather the last few day has been fabulous. Last night it was dark when I left work and when I got home around 6:30 I left the door open for fresh air. The heat was on... we keep it set at 66 when we're up and about in the house... and the heater never came on once. I turned the oven on to roast a chicken and by the time Doug came home at 8:00 we were wishing we hadn't packed away the fans. I actually had trouble sleeping it was too warm... not complaining though... we'll take it!!!


About 3-4 weeks ago Joanna and I went up to Tilton to do some shopping and on the way stopped at Sculptured Rocks. Joanna had never been there. It is a favorite swimming hole in the summer. I took a picture of Joanna to share here. Isn't she pretty?





This was a cold day but it the sun warmed it up so that by the time we ate lunch we were able to sit outside.


We are all winterized in the camper now. The heat tapes are in place and insulation around the bottom. Doug added a little mudroom to the front and our large fridge is in there which is a huge help, plus he put one of our small chest freezers out there too and that will help since I won't have to go back and forth to the mobile home every time I want something from the freezer.


All the produce from the garden is done. 54 quarts of winter squash, 55 quarts of beets, 138 lbs of chicken, Romano beans, and dill pickles. We are still picking up produce in town and last week got 2 cases of apples which we will use to make applesauce.


I cooked the beets outside over a wood fire outside and it took a lot less time, so I think that's what we'll do with the apples too. It will all be done in one big pot and then we can put them into bags and into the freezer. I am not canning anything this year because there is no place to store it. When we are back in our home there will be lots of canning going on! Doug is making a "summer kitchen" in the extension, it will be much cooler out there in the summer to do the canning and it will also eliminate some of the mess inside the mobile home... canners, jars and other supplies that need to be stored through the winter.

I did put up some quart jars of pickles but there's so little room even for them that I wasn't sure if I wanted to do that. They are on the floor at the end of the couch.


Not my kitty and not my little chick, but this is the cutest picture I've seen in a while. A friends sent it to me today.



Our Kitty wouldn't stand for this!!!

OK so you're a doggie person... here's one for you too!!






OK nothing serious this time, just a little fun. We have to have a little fun now and then, right?


Have a wonderful day and whatever you do... don't watch any horror movies!!!

3 comments:

Conny said...

loved all the pictures!!!
Your canning/preserving/putting up methods for food just amaze me - I have never canned anything in my life - so I'm fascinated! I do put things up in my freezer some - but not anything I've ever grown myself.

Mrs.T said...

Good for you accomplishing all that in less-than-ideal conditions! I have done some canning and freezing over the years, but only in a well-equipped indoor kitchen. I'm sure it saved a lot of mess to do those beets outdoors!

Lovely picture of Joanna!

Have a blessed day!
Mrs.T

Lady Farmer said...

Hello Mrs. Doug!
Wanted to drop in and say 'Hi' and thank you for your visit to The Sewing Room! I hope you post pictures about your pumpkins! I would enjoy seeing them!
The picture of the kitten and chick is just too sweet! And I think those are my chickens watching that horror movie! They would sure be in the house if I left the door open! Several years ago, we left the window open to our bedroom, and when we returned home from church, there IN THE MIDDLE OF OUR BED!!! was an egg! Whats a girl to do? :~}
Blessings!